Lord Shiva and Maa Shakti are two of the most important deities in Hinduism. They are widely worshipped in India in the 12 Jyotirlingam temples and the 51 Shaktipeethas respectively, and also in thousands of other temples all around the world.
Here are some facts about Lord Shiva and Maa Shakti which young people should definitely know –
1. Shiva is the oldest Hindu God who was mentioned as early as the Vedic period by the name of Rudra.
2. There are references to Shiva as the all powerful God in the Ramayana and Mahabharata.
3. He is a part of the Holy trinity of Hindu Gods along with Brahma and Vishnu.
4. Shiva consumed the dangerous poison Halahala which came out after Samudra Manthan (churning of the milk ocean), thus saving the Universe.
5. Parvati, an incarnation of Goddess Shakti is Lord Shiva’s companion.
6. Mount Kailash is known as the abode of Shiva, where he resides with his family.
7. Ganesha and Murugan are the children of Shiva and Shakti.
8. Nandi the holy bull is the Vahana of Shiva.
9. Shakti’s Vahana is a lion.
10. Shiva is associated with the masculine energy or Purusha and Shakti is associated with the feminine energy or Prakriti.
11. The Ganga river flows from the matted locks of Shiva.
12. Shakti is the Goddess of power and also the Divine force of the Universe.
13. Hanuman is the 11th incarnation of Shiva
14. The Nataraja form of Lord Shiva is associated with the destruction and the re-creation of the Universe.
15. Shiva’s weapon is the trident or Trishul, which signifies the forces of creation, preservation and destruction.
16. Lord Shiva has 19 Avatars or reincarnations including Bhairav, Hanuman, Ashvatama, Pipladd etc. among others.
17. Maa Shakti has 9 Avatars including Shailaputri, Brahmacharini and Maha Gauri
18. Ardhnarishwar is the half Shiva-half Shakti form of Lord Shiva and Maa Shakti and it represents the absoluteness of God.
19. Shakti is the nurturer of fertility and strength in the material world.
20. Shiva is the protector of the spirit realm and the regulator of Shakti in the Universe.
21. Shiva and Shakti are considered the Father and Mother of the Universe.